Smart man automates Destiny grinding (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 15:15 (3384 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't think anyone would hate progressively building their characters if:

1. The requirement for progression is fun.
2. The requirement for progression is not random.
3. The progression makes the player make interesting choices about their progression.

Sounds like a game I've played recently called Destiny:

2. To progress you do missions and multiplayer that pay out a known amount of currency and use that currency to buy armor and weapons for known prices. Sometimes the game also rewards you with unexpected weapons and armors.

Can you get a Gjallarhorn or a black hammer that way? Can you get to level 32 with raid gear that way? Nope. If you want to do Hard mode tomorrow, you had to have gotten to 32 by way of an RNG.

My hunter is just shy of 32, and the only RNG gear I have to show for that are the raid boots. The chest and gauntlets I bought from Iron Banner, and the helmet I got from Xur. Looks like you don't need RNG whatsoever to be ready for Hard Raid.

I can't play hard mode at level 31? Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer are required... to progress... for anything?

Nope. I noticed an odd thing last night. When I was running Nightfall last night with Cruel and Cody, I simply switched Characters and ran it. They all have different weapons at their disposal, and it's fun to adapt and push through... Cody spent about ten minutes each time swapping over all of his gear between his identical Hunters, and by the time he was done and joining us, we were already done killing the Ogre right before Crota. He missed out on over half of the Nightfall just to optimize his characters to guarantee that he would have his "correct version of fun." despite the fact that the argument could be made that he was "wasting people's time" and "forcing the game to take longer"... Something that he claims to avoid.

3. There are choices between mutually exclusive subclass powers and choices between exotic weapons and armors all of which I find interesting.

Do you really think that all the skills in Destiny are interesting and really that different?

Yes. That's why I said it. (Currently I'm fretting over choosing between Bloom and the extra Super boost for the Voidwalker...)

I too agree. My Warlock alone has three distinct loadouts that I like to run, all play differently from one another, and it's frustrating sometimes to realize that I don't have the "right" loadout equipped, since I'll have to either adjust my entire strategy, or spend time in the menus swapping out perks and gear... But there is a huge difference between a shotgunning Axion Bolt-using Surge Warlock, and a defensive Fusion Rifle-wielding Vortex Bomb, Bloom, and Lifesteal Warlock. Cody's opinion is invalidated by the simple fact that he has only ever used and run Hunters, and I guarantee all of their subclass perks are both identical and permanent.

There are also only a handful of exotics that actually supplement a new playstyle.

So? There's not much more than a handful of Exotics total.

Even the sucky ones, such as No Land Beyond, supplement a new playstyle. Use a Last Word instead of a Hawkmoon and tell me if you play exactly the same. I mean, they're both handcannons, right? How different could your playstyle with each be?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread