Maybe this is why Bungie hates story-telling now? (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 06, 2015, 09:51 (3375 days ago) @ roland

The best thing about writing fiction is that moment where the story catches fire and comes to life on the page, and suddenly it all makes sense and you know what it's about and why you're doing it and what these people are saying and doing, and you get to feel like both the creator and the audience.
-Neil Gaiman

One of the weird things about writing a story is a lot of times, it writes itself; it's not easy to explain if you don't write a lot, but I know when I start to write a story, it ends up going to very different places than maybe I originally planned. And a lot of the time, that new place is a better place, but I have to work through that process organically.

I think this is why movie adaptations of books are often so different: the director understands the story differently, and sometimes that leads the director to different places than it lead the original author. When you're making a video game, that sounds like a nightmare, especially if the author and the programmer are different people, and are trying to put the story together at the same time. Suddenly the programmer is trying to creatively express someone else's organic storytelling, and none of the progression or mechanics are organically developing from the programmer's own creative process.

So I think it makes perfect sense when someone who isn't telling the story, but instead is trying to present someone else's story that doesn't make sense to them, says they hate storytelling.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread