I was a boss at Oni and it enriched the experience immensely (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 06, 2015, 15:20 (3375 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know how people feel about it here, but that game was such a brilliant execution of an idea from top to bottom. It had artistic, philosophical, and narrative reasons for its design choices (3rd person with fist-fights actually looks like a damn comic book), and it executed those choices (fights playing out actually made you feel like you were in a damn comic book)...

In my opinion Oni was flawed in a ton of ways. I guess you can give it a pass because most of the problems have been worked out since in other similar games and it was before that time, but the level design was bland, the gunplay was poor, and a lot of the moves were useless. Like, the crescent moon kick is supposed to knock enemies out of the air, but if the enemy is jumping at you are you really going to have time to press back-back-forwards-kick?

Oh absolutely. My brother and I used to speed run the hell out of that game, and when you have it mastered, the whole thing plays out like a movie. I'll give you the gunplay being unintuitive but I got really, really good at it (sliding-countersniping is the best), and at the time I can't say I noticed the level design being an issue because when it came out it looked pretty good. It felt like reading a comic book or a manga: it looked like one, you had action set pieces similar to one, it had drama like one...mastering that game was a really enjoyable experience, and I still hold it up as one of the most memorable pieces of storytelling I've ever experienced.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread