Maybe this is why Bungie hates story-telling now? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 06, 2015, 14:35 (3375 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear: You can totally re-write a story 9 years into development and have it be good. No doubt.

You can't do that 9 years into developement of a video game and have the game be good without enough time to re-write all of the core game components to suit the new story. That's what I meant to say.

What I'm saying is that a story can come together late. What I agree with is that it's more difficult to change course with a video game, but content can be discarded and the problem is it's just more expensive to do that with video games. I think that's what happened with Irrational and BioShock Infinite. On the other hand, content can be repurposed.

I don't even know if we disagree, except I'd say that if a game is taking 9 years to develop, it's probably because they have changed course a few times, and you seem to be saying that late changes aren't feasible when I think they are, and late changes have resulted in good stories.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread