Not a very big step... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 06, 2015, 10:22 (3375 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I love Destiny, so I don't want to come off sounding overly negative, but the storytelling in the Dark Below is terrible. Yes, the missions actually connect to each other, following a cohesive arch. But as I said on my podcast a couple months ago, isn't that what we would usually consider the absolute bare minimum from any other game? The fact that the missions actually have a connected story does not in any way mean the story is good, or well told. It just shows by comparison that the story in the main game is even worse.

Eris is a complete waste of a character. She has such a powerful backstory, having her relegated to the role of "tower vendor" is a real shame. Where is the introductory cutscene that shows her arrival at the tower? Where is the introduction between her and our Guardians? Why is there no actual conversation between her, our characters, our ghosts, the speaker, or ANYONE ELSE? Why is there no cutscene after completing her story arch?

I fear that Bungie may have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to the storytelling in their own game. For all the talk in the lead up to the Dark Below about improving the storytelling in Destiny, I was a bit shocked to play the expansion and witness first hand what they consider to be "an improvement".

I just wish Bungie would be more realistic when they address the storytelling in Destiny. If they don't want to dive much in to traditional storytelling, that's fine. I can (and do) enjoy Destiny for what it is (although I personally would love more depth from the in-game storytelling). I just wish they wouldn't tell us that they're working on telling a better story if more of the same is all we're going to get.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread