Not a very big step... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 06, 2015, 10:46 (3375 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I don't really think it was more of the same at all. Also, you have to keep in mind that Bungie had only a limited amount of time to make changes for the new story. It seems to me like what they did was try to improve the story while not making drastic changes to the game engine which would take more time then they had. In theory, since they have had more time for The House of Wolves I would expect to see the story improved further even if they can't make drastic game engine changes to get the story to where we would all like it to be. You can't really expect an entire new game three months after the game was released.

I didn't expect a new game, I expected better storytelling because Bungie specifically stated that was one of their goals. I will repeat: the fact that the Dark below actually has a connected story does not mean that it is any good. I have a tough time thinking of it as much of an improvement over the base game, because it makes all the same mistakes. For $20, I think it is absolutely fair to expect a few cutscenes, and new voice work (from more than just the 1 new character).

I did enjoy the extra little side-quest-line that involved exploring the open world and finding specific targets. That was interesting game design, but you can't tell anyone with a straight face that is was "good storytelling".

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread