Not a very big step... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 06, 2015, 15:45 (3375 days ago) @ stabbim

I think you're taking the word "improvement" to mean "is as good as anything could possibly be." No one's saying The Dark Below's storytelling is perfect, or even especially good. Just that it's a step in the right direction as compared to the base game.

I'm not sure what I said to give the impression that I expect perfection. I expected an improvement (again, only because Bungie told us to expect an improvement), and I'm not convinced the Dark Below qualifies as an improvement in terms of storytelling. I think there is *more* story present in the DLC than there is in the base game, but I don't think the storytelling itself is any better.

I think a lot of people are making the argument that "more stuff happens, and it is connected" is equal to "better storytelling". I don't feel that's the case. Do we care more about the characters in the Dark Below? To we feel the motivation behind our own actions? Is there character development of any kind, whatsoever?

These are not hallmarks of "perfect storytelling". As I said before, these elements are the bare minimum to telling a story. The Dark Below has a series of events, but it barely tells a "story" of any kind.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread