Do you have any idea how you got your gear? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 22, 2017, 02:35 (2471 days ago)

Not counting items you got in, say, the last two days, do you remember what you did to "earn" any of the gear you're wearing?

Remember when Destiny was "your gear will tell your story?" Okay, so destiny's gear-story was usually "I got lucky opening a chest" or "the vendor finally sold a good roll on this gun" but occasionally it was "I did a super hard thing and now I have the Chaperone!" or "This is my Thorn. I earned it in a strike and then forged it in the void of the crucible."

Destiny 2 almost completely lacks that. CoO at least has the forge, where your "i grinded 15 heroic strikes" or "I opened like 50 chests until I got the items I needed" become "I 'forged' this gun, just as I forged these other 10 weapons."

It's a problem that I'd hoped TTK solved. Having challenges - REAL challenges - that netted you real rewards was a nice thing in D1. Black Spindle was AWESOME. Remember looking for the Sleeper Simulant? It didn't matter that the sleeper kinda sucked; earning it was AWESOME. Or that gun from the Siva raid? Holy crap that was great.

Sure, we got MIDA and Sturm and the third one, but those missions were not *challenges*, were not secret, and were so easy that having those guns is, similarly, not at all special.

In a way, CoO has brought back a small part of earning the guns, but the challenge element here is having the mental fortitude to withstand the grind more than it is doing something that requires skill.

Those few CoO forge guns that all tell the same story aside, none of my loot tells a story. And that's a damn shame.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread