Having missions for loot blows. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 22, 2017, 10:32 (2378 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Guns are a bit more complicated. I like that the guns are just the guns and that I know what I’m getting. However, it means 90% of the guns I get are immediately sharded or infused. In Destiny, there was always that one perk combination that could drastically change the way I feel about a gun. In Destiny 2, if I dislike that gun, I’m going to dislike it forever. That’s not necessarily a problem, but it is less interesting, and the fact that I dislike so many of the guns in Destiny 2 makes the set perks feel worse than they might actually be.

This is just an inherent problem when you have so many guns. Would you 'shard' a gun you get in Halo? No… each gun was good in its own way and place. The game scenario was diverse, so you could find places to use them.

Loot should be a means to an end, not the end itself. You might covet a character's ultimate weapon in a JRPG, but having that now means you can take on the superbosses and have new experiences in the game.

The idea of a game where loot is the primary goal is bankrupt at the core.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread