Computer Numerical Control (Destiny)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 13:43 (2284 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yeah. I like milling but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a mill, and I like building my own stuff just for fun and because it's easier to customize. The CNC is built from electrical conduit and 3D printed parts. The motors and electronics are off the shelf parts that I found cheap online. The software is all freeware and I found some forums with people more computer savy than me that found ways to get it to all work together. It's kinda redneck looking with zip ties and duct tape, but it works. It's also got no safety devices or protections, so things do break and go flying across my garage from time to time. Still, I built it for $500.

The laser is Chinese built. I pretty much bought it for the laser tube and frame, because I'm ripping everything else out and rebuilding it to my tastes. I had the same goal of building one for $500. Most everything is poorly translated English and the software is intended for Chinese users. I've already caught it on fire 3 times. I built the cooling system out of aquarium parts (it didn't come with one), but I need to figure out a better air assist to protect the beam while cutting wood so it doesn't burst into flames. It didn't come with one, and my 3D printed nozzle connected to an aquarium air pump melted during testing. My biggest success so far is engraving on glass without it exploding. Now I need to build a rotary table in it to engrave on bottles.

I have an idea for a 4 axis engraver that I can use to engrave on spheres. I've see people build some that can draw on Christmas ornaments, but I want to engrave on the ornaments without breaking them. That's tricky.

I've got a small homemade paint booth and a detailing area to sand and shape wood as well. All this is lit by LEDs I pulled out of RV awnings. Most of the stuff I make is from scrap or stuff I find for cheap.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread