Extra Credit has a great video explaining PUBG (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 16:34 (2262 days ago) @ ManKitten

Wow. That sounds like everything I hate in a game, all wrapped up in one place.

He describes all of this for thriller movies and I hate thrillers. However I loved PUBG when I played it. And I think the biggest thing that makes a difference in movies/shows as opposed to games is that I'm in control. In movies/shows I usually am smart enough to know when the axe drops and so I'm just sitting in suspense until it actually happens (just get it over with already). In games, there is the same suspense, but I don't know when it's going to happen because if I did, like movies, then I would never die.

I didn't play Trials for the first 2 years of Destiny's existence because I HATED that feeling of tension. It took a re-examination of my own attitude and goals to get me to give it another try. (Most of the tension in Trials is self-generated; if you don't CARE about the outcome, it's far less stressful.)

The stress in PUBG is external - you can't control other players, or that shrinking playspace, or a host of other things.

No, thanks. I'm good.

I can't view that video from the office but I think I'm understanding your general vibe. I'm loving Fortnite but are yet to play PUBG, mostly because it does look stressful. If comparing the two, PUBG is a simulator and Fortnite is the arcade version. Fortnite is fun for me because they are quick games, quick learning curve, simple equipment and weapons and even when you have an awesome loadout, you don't have the stress of holding on to it.

And like any other game, the more you play the better you get and figure things out. I probably played 10 games before getting a kill. Now I'm getting 2-4 kills per game and finishing in the top 10 on the reg, with one Victory Royale (and I never craft #humblebrag)

Playing with a partner or a squad is way more fun for all the reasons you would expect, communication, planning, ambushing, defending, cracking wise. It's a fun little time drain with zero investment needed (both financially and effort) but high fun payout.

It's interesting, I think that because you have the ability to build ramps and walls as well as destroy them in fortnite, you have more agency and feel more in control over the gameplay than in pubg, where you know you're eventually going to have to open that door and see if there's a trap waiting for you or not. In Pubg you agonize over whether to crest a hill or not, whereas in fortnite you just do it and if you have to build some walls and retreat that's okay, too.

Even so, I freaking LOVE that fortnite's construction options mean I can attack from above while protecting my own flanks (at the risk, of course, of giving away my position). And I can also just blow up a building rather than walk into it through the door and risk an ambush.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread