Because I have to and it's relevant (Criticism)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, January 22, 2018, 08:40 (2283 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's not that situation. Games since the early 80s have let you dismantle or delete multiple copies of items easily.

It is self inflicted. There is just something a bit off putting about saying something is hard publicly, but not admitting it was only hard because you made it hard.

Cool: We designed the system a certain way, and that made it hard to delete multiple things. We're going to redesign the system for next time.

Not cool: This is a hard problem.

It could have been self inflicted. It was probably a manager somewhere who didn't get the memo that in (code speak incoming) the "item class" didn't have a special case for shaders that allow you to delete multiple items.

Because I'm about 90% sure that there is an overarching class for "Items" where all items that can be discarded/scrapped fall under that. But they didn't add any additional code to do that. And it's much harder to add that code now because it's apart of the "Items" class which, as you might imagine, affects a ton of stuff.

And yes, I can believe they could have easily made that oopsie when trying to ship Destiny 2. And being able to scrap multiple shaders was not even thought of compared to all the other things. Is it their fault for not implementing this now? Sure. Is it their fault for not foreseeing this? I'm not entirely sure. Should they get this much shit for missing this? As a developer, I say hell no.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread