Because I have to and it's relevant (Criticism)

by Tails @, Across the Pond, Monday, January 22, 2018, 13:13 (2279 days ago) @ squidnh3

The "hard problem" thing is definitely annoying. A lot of really smart, talented, and hardworking people obviously work at Bungie, but even those people can make really dumb mistakes. People that are talented often have trouble admitting mistakes, and in this case Bungie is taking the "this problem is so hard, you could barely understand it!" route, which is a poor choice.

"Hard problem" (or "huge technical challenge" or however else this has been referred to) probably makes this sound more difficult than it actually is. We're not exactly talking about the moon landing! The reason it's difficult to understand isn't because it's some mind-bending brain twister that only Hawking could grasp, but simply because the systems where the problem exists are entirely custom to Bungie. Anyone not familiar with them in detail lacks 95% of the context of the problem. It's like trying to figure out the picture on a 1000-piece jigsaw when you can only see 50 pieces.

I look at bugs in other games (or even in systems I'm not familiar with in Destiny) and while I can sometimes take educated guesses at the cause, the only sure thing is that I can't possibly know without having the code open in front of me. Not because I'm dumb (although I am), but because I lack the context of the problem.

Unfortunately, communicating over the internet has a way of stripping all nuance from an issue :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread