For fans of Journey: (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 17, 2018, 09:39 (1956 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Again, look at my ‘fully utilized’ Statement. You are comparing shit games to good ones. Try comparing a good 3D exploration game to a good 2D one. The 3D one will be better and more immersive.

Of course I’m comparing shit games to good ones—I’m making my point and disproving your blanket statement with obvious examples. Twilight Princess is almost literally the mechamics and exploration of A Link to the Past translated into 3D. But it’s not better for it. Same with Mario Sunshine.

Breath of the Wild is like the current pinnacle of systems based, 3D exploration games. I like it far less than A Link to the Past. You mistake technical achievement and complexity for “good” and “immersive” (which is such a vague term that it’s completely useless in discussions like this). I still get more “immersed” in Morrowind than I do in Skyrim or Fallout 4, even though the more recent games have full voice acting and better graphics and better AI routines and countless other things that should make them more immersive.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread