Nonsense (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 25, 2018, 12:24 (1947 days ago) @ narcogen

And there lies the problem. I guess it's a game about overcoming your demons? Well so was Limbo. But in Limbo you could die. You can't here. What's to overcome when you can't be harmed? What good is a world explored if it doesn't present danger? This is itself a huge failure of design and theme. It undercuts the game to the very core.

The position that the only obstacles worth overcoming in the context of a videogame involve death, violence, or the threat of violence is ridiculous and stupid.

It's a particularly objectionable bit of reductionist nonsense when discussing a game that is arguably about trauma. Your complaint is that the protagonist, in the struggle to recover from trauma, can't be KILLED during the context of the game.

I mean... WTAF, seriously.

If you can’t be killed, or much less even really fail, how much of a “struggle” is it? It softens this, and ultimately says overcoming your demons is easy because they don’t actually weigh you down.

If you are suffering from trauma and you fail to succeed at overcoming it, then you FAIL. You STILL HAVE TRAUMA.

You've doubled down on the stupidity that the only struggles worth experiencing in the context of a videogame are: death, violence, the threat of violence.

The idea that obstacles that aren't portrayed in those particular ways are "easy" and "don't really weigh you down" is particularly offensive.

I don’t believe I ever said that. You can explore all that through story and character instead of violence… but surprise. This game has none of that, so it’s up to the mechanics then. I am using exactly what the game presents to me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread