For fans of Journey: (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 17, 2018, 21:43 (1955 days ago) @ Cody Miller

-Excruciatingly long intro sequence

This alone tells me you will not like this game. That you would describe it as "excruciatingly long," instead of enjoying the pretty visuals and music for the mere two and half minutes means you honestly might as well just quit playing it.

That sequence could have been three times as long, and I'd have still loved it. You seem like you're a "gameplay is king" sort of person--this is not that game.

This game, for me, is mostly an awesome, relaxing album with an interactive visual element. That's a gross over-simplification, but it's a game that's about taking in the pretty sights and sounds, and doing some cool movement while you do that. Try and appreciate it from that perspective. Put away your preconceived notions of what a game "should" be.

And that's not to say you're wrong. If I can appreciate a game for just being pretty and having a great soundtrack, you can certainly dislike it for lacking compelling gameplay (and that's not even the right way to phrase that, because I do find the gameplay compelling, as simple as it is). Just recognize that what you consider compelling gameplay is not a prerequisite for a game being good. Gaming as a medium as truly grown into being an art, and that's what this game is. It's a statement, an art piece, not just a piece of entertainment.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread