For fans of Journey: (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 17, 2018, 21:57 (1928 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, December 17, 2018, 22:00

-Excruciatingly long intro sequence

This alone tells me you will not like this game. That you would describe it as "excruciatingly long," instead of enjoying the pretty visuals and music for the mere two and half minutes means you honestly might as well just quit playing it.

I loved every minute of MGS4, and that game takes control away from you for up to 70 minutes at a time (literally). It's not that. It's excruciatingly long because there is no compelling reason for me to be watching yet versus playing.

And that's not to say you're wrong. If I can appreciate a game for just being pretty and having a great soundtrack, you can certainly dislike it for lacking compelling gameplay (and that's not even the right way to phrase that, because I do find the gameplay compelling, as simple as it is). Just recognize that what you consider compelling gameplay is not a prerequisite for a game being good. Gaming as a medium as truly grown into being an art, and that's what this game is. It's a statement, an art piece, not just a piece of entertainment.

45 minutes in. Started a big wheel. No semblance of any sort of challenge, decision making, narrative or anything that asks the player to apply themselves. It's only slightly better than Inside, which was hold right to see what happens next. I think this is a pure platformer: there is no meaningful exploration as so far the path is linear.

It's honestly basically just like Journey but you can't get lost.

There isn't really any difference so far if I were watching someone else play, and that is squandering the art of games. This could be an animated film and lose little, and gain more.

But I will finish it because I said I would.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread