It's really good! (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 12:54 (1868 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 13:00

Korny and I played for a few hours last night (after we finished up Mass Effect 3 with stabbim--that game still rules!).

I played two matches alone while Korny's download finished. We spent that time talking about the state of Destiny, the state of game's in general, and what we generally want out of video games. I fell on the side of "This game is cool, but it's just fundamentally not what I want out of video games."

My opinion flipped within another two matches when we joined up. "I should go to bed after this next one," turned into "We died too fast that match--that one doesn't count, let's do one more."

PUBG is just too janky for me to even begin to care about. Fortnite seems really, really cool for what it is, but I didn't like the way it felt to shoot and I never got the hang of the building stuff. Blackout looked really cool, and Call of Duty has good fundamental shooting mechanics and controls, but I just don't care enough to spend $30 to try it. This feels arguably as good or better than Call of Duty, and it's free.

And damn, it's fun. The character abilities all seem pretty neat, although I haven't used most of them yet. A good mix of damage dealing offensive abilities, mobility abilities, defensive shields, and a cool cloaking and decoy one.

My biggest issue right now is just being unfamiliar with the weapons of the game. There's not really a good way to test things out besides just jumping in a match, picking stuff up and trying to kill somebody with it. So it's a lot of dying due to things not behaving how I expect (or just straight up not knowing what to expect). Players have a lot more hit points than I initially anticipated.

I had a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing this more. We desperately needed a third person to round out our team, so some of you Xbox folks should get in on this.

It's enough fun that it has completely derailed my plans to finish up The Last Word quest.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread