It's really good! (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 15:16 (1899 days ago) @ cheapLEY

PUBG is just too janky for me to even begin to care about. Fortnite seems really, really cool for what it is, but I didn't like the way it felt to shoot and I never got the hang of the building stuff. Blackout looked really cool, and Call of Duty has good fundamental shooting mechanics and controls, but I just don't care enough to spend $30 to try it. This feels arguably as good or better than Call of Duty, and it's free.

While it's certainly different, I've no doubt you'd love Blackout eventually. I'll let you know the next time they do a free week.

And damn, it's fun. The character abilities all seem pretty neat, although I haven't used most of them yet. A good mix of damage dealing offensive abilities, mobility abilities, defensive shields, and a cool cloaking and decoy one.

I just realized today that Pathfinder's grappling hook can be used for my trademark spearfishing trolls. I haven't played as him yet, so I know what I'm excited for.

My biggest issue right now is just being unfamiliar with the weapons of the game. There's not really a good way to test things out besides just jumping in a match, picking stuff up and trying to kill somebody with it. So it's a lot of dying due to things not behaving how I expect (or just straight up not knowing what to expect).

Yeah. I didn't even consider this, because all of the weapons are second-nature to me, having played TF2, but yeah, you give a new guy a Flatline, and ask him how he should engage with it compared to an R-301? He'll probably be really confused (answer: Flatline does more damage per round, but has much higher recoil, so closer ranges).
One thing I noticed is that the Training has a second firing range to the left of the one you grab the guns from, with even more weapons, so that's as good a place as any to familiarize yourself with the weapon behaviors and names.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread