Down/Revive Mechanics (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 14:15 (1868 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

That decision just doesn't even exist in the other BR games (again, that I'm aware of).

True, but I didn't find it that much of a game-changer when I played. Then again, maybe that's just because typically only were able to get the respawn token when the other team was still alive so it didn't help much. Best case we had two squad members instead of three and we still got destroyed.

I mean, sure, that's still going to happen.

In the instance I'm thinking of, our squadmate died in our first firefight fairly early. We were in the suspended room high above the Thunderdome, and our buddy died on the ground. Korny and I fended off an attack, got his banner, then fended off another attack. After that, the circle closed in. We got the revive and made it to the final three squads left. Our dumbass teammate then left us and died on his own, and we died when we tried to go pick him up again. While that's sort of frustrating, it is interesting--that wouldn't have happened in any other BR game, because he'd have just been dead the first time. I think it adds an interesting layer to the strategy of the game.

There's also the fact that the respawn beacons are single-use. Once a squad has used a beacon to respawn a member, it can't be used again by any squad. They also mostly seem to be sort of out in the open, so even getting to one is a risk on its own.

Maybe I'm overstating how much it changes the game--I don't have enough experience with other battle royale games to really say. I do know that it seems really cool, and I like it as mechanic.

I did some googling, and it looks like Call of Duty Blackout has a mode in which squads with at least one person left completely respawn every time the circle collapses.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread