Initial thoughts on the new season? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 05:24 (1870 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How are you all feeling about the new stuff?

I'm really loving Gambit Prime. It fixed my major problem with Gambit--the three round structure tended to make Gambit matches drag. I much prefer the single round of Gambit Prime. I love the new Primeval mechanics with the multiple damage rounds. I've seen much more back and forth between teams in Gambit Prime, whereas normal Gambit has mostly turned into one side burning their Primeval immediately. I'm eager to see more maps!

The Reckoning I'm less sure about. We only ran one tonight, and it seemed pretty underwhelming. Hopefully higher tiers really kick it up a notch.

Even so, the loop with Gambit Prime provided materials to get armor to use in Gambit Prime seems pretty compelling, at a glance. I just hope The Reckoning doesn't end up feeling like a chore to get armor.

I think everything they’ve added is cool, but for me personally the whole loop around acquiring new Gambit armor is a “miss”. I don’t see myself playing enough Gambit prime in the future to care about any of these armor sets. With Black Armory, chasing all the different weapons and getting rolls of each weapon that I like has kept me coming back to those activities every single week. I’m still coming back to them. Not because I particularly enjoy the Forges, but because I want to get a better Kindled Orchid. The rewards have appeal outside the activity itself.

With Gambit Prime and Reckoning, it’s all about those prime armor sets. And I just don’t care about any of those. After a few runs through both activities, I was already feeling burned out and ready for something different. So at this point, I’m thinking this season won’t have me hooked the way last season did. But who knows, it was just one night. I’ll have to see if my mood changes going forward :)

Another little thing turned me off the new grind very quickly; I upgraded my synthesizer to the level 2 version (I think the call it “mediocre”?). My first thought was “cool, now I can craft better versions of the new armor”. Then I looked at how it worked and saw that creating level 2 motes eats up twice as many of the little tokens that you collect from Gambit prime, and right away I thought “well I’m not going to bother with any of this until I have the level 3 version... why waste the resources on armor that is going to be outclassed within a week”. Seems like a bit of a design flaw in the grind loop to me, but again, that’s just my take on it.

On another note, I got the new Gambit hand canon and I love it! It has a perk called “swashbuckler” which works like Rampage except it is triggered by getting kills with the gun and/or melee kills, and it stacks up to x5. Lots of fun against trash mobs :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread