Initial thoughts on the new season? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 06, 2019, 09:36 (1850 days ago) @ bluerunner

The Reckoning I'm less sure about. We only ran one tonight, and it seemed pretty underwhelming. Hopefully higher tiers really kick it up a notch.

I ran it with randoms, which increases the difficulty since most of them were afk, constantly dead, or wandering around up top. At one point I died and a blueberry stood 3ft away from my ghost, looking right at it, and didn't revive me. I could tell he was tapping X and not holding it down long enough. Sigh.

I didn't know how lucky I was with my first group. The key to success is multikills, and we had two tethers, a Slova Bomb, and a Blade barrage. Rounds were about 3 minutes from drop to reward. After a bunch of runs, I got bored and went to do the Prime bounty to get my Invader helmet.
The next time I came back to get the armor pieces? Hooo boy. I have not seen such ineptitude since I was playing Comp. We're talking teammates running away from an easy rez, ignoring the summoned boss, dying, dying, dying. And dying. Splitting from the group, and dying.

The few times they went for a rez, the dead guardian was surrounded by enemies, and they died. Once, when I revived one, but got killed in the process, they literally ran through my ghost and left.

I must have matchmade with six or seven groups before I found one competent enough to finish the Primeval, but man. That first group of mine was something special.

But I did run it with some good randoms too. It was fun. If your group stays together and attacks each group one at a time, it goes pretty fast. I do like how it's only 6 minutes a round and I can come and go whenever I need to. It fits my usual short time to play well.

That part was fun, even though the one map became pretty stale in a single evening. Enemy spawns aren't 100% random, so you can somewhat map approaches, Super hotspots, and good cover spots fairly quickly. Hopefully Tier 2 and 3 are more interesting mechanic-wise, and will mean more experienced players running them. I don't quite see the loop between this and Gambit Prime sustaining the game for three months, but that really depends on what the other tiers bring to the table. Reckoning is so far not what I thought it would be, and really feels like Bungie took the wrong lessons from Escalation Protocol and other games that have the same kill-meter-based horde mode.

That said, it had me playing Destiny more in one night than ever before, so there's that...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread