Why games-as-service suck, and Fortnite's bad example: (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 20:30 (1830 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 20:45

Yeah. I never liked the games-as-a-service model outside of Destiny. For instance, I've long refused to play any iOS game that requires a network connection. Mostly, that's because I do not a game to lock me out if the internet is down. But, I can't remember the last time that a game that required a network connection didn't also have tons of micro transactions. It's been kinda a win win over the years.

It has been nice the past couple of years though. Yes, things like Fortnite are widely played and generate a ton of money, but story based games like Spider-man, God of War, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, etc have been pretty strong and widely praised lately. As much as the games stuck in endless crunch have risen to prominence, it is gratifying to see the reactions from players and the gaming press when something like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is announced to cheers at the absence of micro transactions.

Also, take a look at what Apple is doing with their upcoming Apple Arcade service: They are putting tens or hundreds of millions of dollars down to fund the development of over 100 high quality mobile games that include no ads or in-app purchases. If those games are good enough and the service is a success, perhaps we'll see a nice shift away from timer based "pay more to keep playing" games that have topped the charts for the last several years.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread