Why games-as-service suck, and Fortnite's bad example: (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 22:19 (1827 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I feel you. I really do worry about the state of perpetual crunch in live service games. It really does seem like no one is winning (besides the rich guys at the top who have enough money anyway). Developers get to spend their every waking moment at work, and players get half-baked mediocre content every month or two. Like, let’s be real here. The Dawning, The Festival of the Lost, The Revelry. They are neat little events, but is that really compelling content? Would we not be better off to skip that shit and let Bungie take more time to make genuinely great stuff? I hate to #codywasright this, but I’d be far more interested in just getting a Forsaken every year, even if it means a year long gap between releases.

I’m out of Destiny right now. I don’t anticipate going back any time soon. Start of next season at the earliest, maybe not even then. I like Destiny, but it is almost nefarious in the way it asks for a mile when I give it an inch. It is simply not possible to play Destiny casually, and I’m really not interested in giving it all the time it asks for.

I just stated Dragon’s Dogma for the first time and am loving it. I also started a new play through of God of War (I really want to Platinum that game—I only need to do the Niflheim stuff, beat all the Valkaries, and mop up a few collectibles I think). That Red Dead article yesterday has me sort of wanting to jump back in to that game, too.

I also have Vampyr and Prey waiting on Game Pass. And I’ve been slowly making my way through The Master Chief Collection again. I can’t wait to play through all of Reach when it finally gets added.

Not to mention I discovered three days ago that Hulu has all of Stargate SG-1 available. (:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread