An Observation on "games as a service" . (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 13:37 (1800 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've not played all the games out there that are under the "games as a service" umbrella. I don't know how true my observation is. That said, I noticed recently that -as far as I can tell- ALL "games as a service" games have what we call "grind".

At the core of it all, how is such a grind any different then what these Game Devolopers are going through? I'm currently just becoming more and more convinced here that this model is not meant for humans, but machines. That comes across at first a touch on the melodramatic side, but the more I read about these stunningly abominable conditions, I can't help but see some parallels.

I tried to play Destiny 2 recently for the The Revelry Event Activity, and yea, there was fun... but then I saw all the "hours" I had to put in to get the cool stuff. In the past, I'd plan my time to do stuff I (sometimes) didn't want to do so I could get the cool stuff. It didn't before, but now it sounds like another job to me.

I'll end with this, this observation reeks gray. It is most definitely not a simple black and white observation. In fact, I might not be an Observation at all, but instead an example on how perception can change your outlook.

In whatever the truth may ultimately be, I hope a design change can take place that can help balance out a model that increasingly feels to me to be structurally imbalanced, both in the work required to keep up, and the time needed to play it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread