Why games-as-service suck, and Fortnite's bad example: (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 23, 2019, 21:41 (1801 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sure, we've heard of bad crunch before, but, as bad as it was, the crunch on Witcher 3 or those other games is over now. At some point a lot of those people who were asked to crunch completed their work and got the chance to breath and really think about their future. It sounds like developing under crunch is, in some way, as addictive as playing something like Destiny of Fortenite. And if the development never ends the workers are always pushing themselves to take another one for the team.

It makes me sick to think of people stuck working on something like Fortnite on an endless basis. We've got to be getting close to the point where the game has been receiving rapid updates on a constant schedule for longer than most games standalone games were in development, period. That's just insane.

It makes me wish for the good old days. Remember when the Master Chief said he was going to finish the fight? Some people threw their controllers at their screens, but I was elated. It meant there would be another Halo. That it would take three years before the story was wrapped up didn't bother me.

It's also interesting, because back then I was a Halo player who played other games too. For a while I was a Destiny player that played other games to. Now though, I'm a gamer who rotates between new games and old, familiar games, and them back to Destiny for a while before starting the cycle again. It feels so much nicer to cycle to whatever I feel like playing instead of wishing and demanding than any one game be updated right now.

Look at my gaming in the last few weeks:
- Some Destiny for Season of the Drifter and about three days of The Revelry.
- About a week and a half to replay and finally beat the main and DLC story of Horizon: Zero Dawn.
- About two days to beat Surtr and Valraven and to cross the bridge in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.
- A couple of hours in Gravity Rush 2. Just long enough to dock with Jirga Para Lhao. (I want to play it more but I can only can't yet, because...)
- Yesterday I started what I intend to be a full play through of Dad of War, because even though I beat it once, I did not beat all the Valkyries. I intend to do so this time...

That feels so much better than running a bunch of heroic Strikes in an effort to push my Destiny power level up the final 10ish points to reach 700...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread