An Observation on "games as a service" . (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 18:28 (1828 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

In whatever the truth may ultimately be, I hope a design change can take place that can help balance out a model that increasingly feels to me to be structurally imbalanced, both in the work required to keep up, and the time needed to play it.

That's the whole problem and what journalists and writers should have seen from the beginning. It always takes longer to make something than to play it. You spend 2 years on a game and someone finishes it in 10 hours.

Your game as a service then necessarily means:

1. Working crazy hard to make new shit because otherwise the content is not rolled out fast enough.
2. You create a grind so that players can stay busy playing the old shit over and over because it's impossible to make stuff fast enough

It's just a bad idea for everyone.

I say it's not so bad for competitive multiplayer games, because those games can have a depth to them because of the human opponents that keeps players fairly occupied until new content is ready.

So why people don't make games at a normal pace, release them, let players enjoy them for however long they enjoy them, and then move on is beyond me. Like, there's a bazillion games out there. We can stay occupied until your next one comes out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread