Preach it, Urk (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 07, 2019, 10:09 (1785 days ago) @ Beorn

From the last bit of the ViDoc:

We can completely build Destiny in the vision we wanted it to be in. A vision that isn't dictated by a commercial model or business plan, but our creative vision and what we want to do for our players, and what they want us to do with Destiny.

<3

I'm happy to see Bungie taking the reins again.

I love me some Urk, and I like the priorities expressed in the sentiment. As a reality check, though: they can't afford not to think about a commercial model or have a business plan. That has to be part of the equation. Throughout history, artists have had patrons. Somebody pays, always. And my experience in life is that you get what you pay for. I pay, for instance, for the privilege of never watching TV commercials. And my experience of "free-to-play" is that those games become tacky (if they're not born that way), and the need to insert adverts that generate revenue distract from the way I like to experience games. I'm not saying we'll get billboards for Astros in the EDZ, but I'd rather pay what I'm going to pay upfront for no distractions from the immersive experience that games can provide.

Then again, I believe that when capitalism is functioning properly money is a fair representation of the value you get when you spend it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread