Preach it, Urk (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 07, 2019, 10:27 (1783 days ago) @ Kermit

Then again, I believe that when capitalism is functioning properly money is a fair representation of the value you get when you spend it.

There are issues with this idea. The first is that everyone values money differently. I might have no problem paying $60 for a game, but for someone else that's a full day's wage after taxes. I'll happily pay $18 to go to a movie but to some it's madness. The idea of money representing value is false because money does not itself have a set value.

Likewise people value different things differently. So paying for a movie ticket to see a comedy might be a better 'value' than paying to see an action movie. The tickets could cost the same, but maybe the comedy is 85 minutes and the action movie is 120. Even though you get 'less' by seeing the comedy, you may value that more.

Remember when you'd spend $10 on an album? Now you spend $10 a month and get infinity albums. Do you think the person paying 10 dollars for spotify listens to one album per month? Do you think this has changed the perceived 'value' of music? Has the worth of the album actually changed? Does music recording no longer make much money? What do you make of this chart?

[image]

Do you think shifting to the service model is going to make people value games less, versus paying a large lump sum? Do you think this is going to impact the ability to make cool games, when everything about making cool games these days is costing more and more? Do you think games should actually cost more than they do now?

Do you think the games industry is shooting itself and the foot and not knowing it?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread