What Comes After Star Wars? (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, December 19, 2019, 20:32 (1583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I’m seeing it this evening, but like most things, I’ve read just about every spoiler already. Unfortunately this means I’m going in with fairly low expectations. If anything, I’m really going because it will likely be the last of these cultural events for a while. Marvel will take a bit to ramp up again after Endgame, and there won’t be any Star Wars for at least a couple of year, right? Disney and Pixar movies can be big, but even Frozen II isn’t as big of an event despite making a bunch of money.

I wonder what’s next? The Avatar squeals? That’s all I can really think of. Does anyone know of anything else BIG that will generate the buzz that Star Wars or the Avengers did over the part several years?

Anyway, thanks for starting the topic. Creating a designated spoiler zone helps everyone talk more freely. I’ll certainly be back tonight or tomorrow to share my thoughts! :)

Alright, so there is a part of me that is saying to me that I'm blabbering on into a tangent. Despite that, I'm hoping my read of this is at least half right somehow in some way. So, yeah, here I go.

I don't know your purpose in asking such a question, but for whatever it may be I think this is the wrong question; "What Comes After Star Wars?", as it's almost like you don't want to be surprised. Where do you want my eyeballs now boss? If you're looking for your next hit, then well, that's just a bit more Brave New World then I'd honestly like. I don't know why that extreme is where my brain went but... well there it is. I mean, I get it, it's fun to geek out and do this communal shared experience that sports fans get to have seemingly ad infinitum. These worlds that have been built in mind for spectacle or metaphor, be they Beowulf to Starwars, Star Trek to Aesop's Fables, Avengers to ... shoot... I'm going to say the Bible. What could POSSIBLY go wrong.

These stories, the big extravagant stories aren't going anywhere and we are certainly going to find away to retell them again. Honestly, it might be nice to just catch ones breath from all of this "build up" in entertainment that has been made in this last decade. We already have so much, it would be sad to just be one and done with what we already have. To me the question to ask is through these stories; What have I learned? A reflection of things, be it of the story on one side, or the making of the craft which has presented to us one the other. I reflection in the crafting in whatever medium speaking to us. It's not What Comes After Star Wars, it's what has Starwars//Marvel//Lord Of The Rings//...so on so on... brought to ones self?

I think that a far more interesting question.

... it occurs to me ... lets see if I can find that quote... ah there it is.

“A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.” – Yoda

That.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread