I liked it fine. (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, December 28, 2019, 22:40 (1578 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't want to rehash this, but I don't have a problem with Luke finding himself in a place where he wants to be a hermit and finding a reason to fight again. The way it was handled (especially the initiating event) was wrong-headed in my opinion, and incongruent with Luke's character in the previous films.

Dude's seen some shit and it's been 30 years. 100% could change.

100%? I have my doubts, but regardless, the way to sell it isn’t with a few minutes of exposition after nearly an hour of showing this unrecognizable character. In my opinion it’s a shoddily made movie.

"It's not what you say, it's how you say it".

The key word in your argument is could, Cody. It is the moves job to sell the change. For some, the little given was not enough. Too much a leap of faith.

Having said that, I wonder what that difference is?

Sidenote: If I was a more then an arm-chair hobbyist scientist (and I could get the funding) I'd study the wider dynamics to all of this. There are so many moving parts. Psychology, Sociology, Cultural, Educational background, if the person is a cinemaphile or has a connection to such, and all sorts of other dynamics. I can see it happening in the little I can see, but by the heavens I don't know what words to use to describe it all.

It's quite fascinating though.

...and yes. I've found what Kermit has said so far is very reasonable. There is a, I suppose selfish, part of me that would have like it if your thoughts were inversed Kerm for the sake of discussion, if you get my meaning. Would be a fun conversation from you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread