I liked it fine. (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 30, 2019, 10:34 (1578 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

100%? I have my doubts, but regardless, the way to sell it isn’t with a few minutes of exposition after nearly an hour of showing this unrecognizable character. In my opinion it’s a shoddily made movie.

This is where we differ… he's not unrecognizable at all.

Luke was never perfect. He always made mistakes. That's the whole point of empire. He fails in the cave. He leaves his training early. In Jedi he fucking wails on Vader and nearly gives into hate. So the idea that he for just a second gave into fear with regard to Kylo Ren is not only plausible, but actually quite in character.

You seem totally caught up on the hero's journey thing. It's not a story blueprint dude. And one of the biggest mistakes in being critical of stories is to compare it against what WE would want for the characters. I know this isn't the Luke YOU wanted or envisioned. But it's completely consistent with everything before, and you need to just open up and let the story be told. Especially because what we may want is often not as good as what we need. We don't get anything if Luke is just a badass Jedi like in the EU. This is a much better story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread