Dontnod's next game is Xbox Only (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 12:42 (1353 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 13:03

I can't imagine going into a game and scrutinizing if it lined up with my preferred metaphors, pandered to my most edge-case ideals, and made a commentary on the most pertinent social issues that I prioritize today.

That's why I said 'stealth'. Outwardly it advocates many progressive positions but flounders later with a morality play that is quite traditional.

So what you're saying is that the messaging is a little grayer than pitch black and blinding white? Let me guess, you're writing for Polygon under a pen name now?

I wouldn't characterize it that way… but a lot of 'grey' morality in art is merely an excuse to avoid introspection or actually having to take a stand one way or another. You can reap the benefits of 'tackling' a sensitive issue without the backlash of actually taking a position. I would (and have repeatedly) characterized Bioshock Infinite this way, but am not entirely sure I would say that about Last of Us 2 (the revenge narrative is not as simplistic as it was at first glance). My problem with TLoU2 is more the misogyny, and the co-opting of trans suffering.

But the article you linked has a very strong point: that often 'grey' morality is used to compare as equal two sides that are not equal at all. As if, in the case of Bioshock Infinite, fighting to oppress is at all equivalent as fighting to free.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread