Agreed about Valve...

by Flynn J Taggart, Sunday, March 10, 2013, 22:04 (4061 days ago) @ bryan newman

I have to credit Bungie for getting me into gaming in the first place. Vulgar as it sounds, where most of the Internet seems to have a raging hard-on for Valve, I have one for Bungie. They have never let me down, they're an amazing group of people, and I find the way they share that with the world to be second to none.

Everybody is all over Valve, their last several games weren't even made by them. Portal, LFD etc. all external companies. Valve has mastered the art of making money off of other people's work. Not that I am trashing steam, but it seams to me that game development is no longer their top priority.

It's not that it's external companies necessarily, but more like ideas/IPs/people that Valve hires occasionally for the express purposes of professionally developing said ideas/IPs/people. Gabe himself has pointed out that their only original IP is Half-Life. Team Fortress, CS, and as you've pointed out, Portal and L4D all existed in some form prior to Valve developing them further. They hire teams of people to work on ideas that excite them, basically. The game development side of Valve (outside of Half-Life) has always seemed to me to be high end mod makers in their approach to design. I don't think it's bad at all, but it's just a different way than the standard developer approach. I'm fans of both them and Bungie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread