Decoupling player appearance from progression

by zumphry ⌂ @, Sunday, March 31, 2013, 09:58 (4042 days ago) @ Tawpgun

Depending on how PvP works it might be better to have clear distinctions of what armor does what. I'd hate to go up against an opponent who, unknown to me, has more shields, is faster, or has some other unclear advantage. It's was one of my biggest turn offs with Halo 4 and its perks. You could be fighting someone who reloads faster, or whose grenades do more damage or whatever and you wouldn't know until they used their advantage.

Also, do we know that armors affect stats?

For weapons, now that we have more of a confirmation from the GDC talk that most regular weapons are modular, I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie kept to their tradition of trying to make gameplay between single-player and multiplayer have parity through those modular weapons. What we've heard so far (I think) of armor is that it's just for aesthetics, with the ancient weapons/loot having different types of stats and effects with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if each Guardian class had different weapons types they were allowed to use (a la every Class-based game ever), so if you wanted to sneak around and snipe, you'd have to play as a Hunter, with Titans being your shotgun/Assault Rifle type. From there, different additions you'd add might be restricted out of multiplayer to keep your options simple, and to make sure someone doesn't have an add-on that lets their shotgun fire rockets.

Additionally/curiously, Bungie hasn't (yet?) stated anything about in-game credit/microtransactional purchases for weapons/armor; they talk about loot that you either find or earn. Maybe you find loot in the "PvE" part of Destiny, and you earn loot from betting your stuff, or from getting access to more/upgraded weapons through leveling up by winning matches (like how loadouts would unlock in Invasion in Reach) in the "PvP" parts of Destiny?

I mean, I hope the armors (almost forgot to even talk about them...) are just so you can look cool, or at the very least glow distinctively for what's being boosted (red for speed or attack, blue for magjick, etc) so it's not vague, like you said.

But this is really just me rampantly speculating/describing what I hope any PvP is like. Though, I'll probably just stick to the story and dancing in the social areas with my space clothes off (that's in Destiny, right?).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread