Great post. Not sure if I should reply to the whole thing.. (Fan Creations)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 09, 2015, 02:15 (3145 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in bizzaro world when I bring up some of these issues and all I get back is "Destiny is fun and I love it so why are you saying anything bad about it don't be so toxic". So it's kind of nice to hear from someone in the industry that, yeah, there are a lot of issues here, even if the original concept was gobsmackingly amazing.

That's funny because I feel like I'm living in a bizzaro world nearly every time I read one of these treatises on the "fundamental flaws" in Destiny. I haven't worked in the gaming industry, but I have worked in the software industry for over 16 years, and I've spent several of those years sitting in meetings with coders and testers and UI analysts. Building a game like Destiny is hard, and I know enough to know that what seems to be an obviously bad design choice is often the least bad choice once you know the obstacles the team faced and their goals. I say that because what's often lacking in these self-anointed expert critiques is humility regarding our limited outsider perspective. Ignorant theories are thrown about (e.g., the Grimoire folks cribbed from Staten, etc.), and I find the hyperbole ridiculous--another studio will put a "true game" in the Destiny engine? GTFO!

INSANEdrive's MEGA-POST doesn't strike me that way because he regularly acknowledges his own subjectivity, the limits of his knowledge, and that other opinions exist. I enjoyed reading it even though I don't agree with a lot of it (or, to the extent I agreed, my disappointments with the game haven't left me in the same place as INSANEdrive [Dude, I hope you don't lose all hope--year two might end up surprising you]). Especially enjoyed all the linky bits. I now love KP more than I knew.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread