Massive Space Battles (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 18:44 (2998 days ago) @ Durandal

Agreed.

I liked the idea that the Reapers were tough but not invincible. That, like Sovereign said, they were able to win decisively over and over because organic life inevitably found the Mass Relays and the Citadel and developed along similar lines. As much as I like Mass Effect (I think it is easily one of the top series of the 360 / PS3 generation and rivals any other series of that time) in some ways it was a series marked by a string of plot based betrayals.

- Wasn't the original idea put forth that stopping Sovereign would strand the Reaper fleet in darks space? And, to me at least, the implication of "strand" meant more than "have them have to do an extra two years of easy, no consequences flying."

- One of the biggest ones, where the Council completely turned its back on you and pretended the huge battle at the Citadel simply did not happen. The disavowing of the Reapers was maybe one of the biggest let downs of the 360 generation. I'd have been ok with them publicly blaming the Geth, a known boogeyman, while preparing for the actual extinction they knew was coming... but instead they spent Mass Effect 2 in complete lala land after I sacrificed my friends and colleagues of the Alliance fleet to save them.

- The start of Mass Effect 2 with the temporary, inconsequential death of Shepard. They barely touched the subject of death and it meaning to Shepard or Shepherd's allies. All that really happened was I got a bigger Normandy.

- The new Normandy too was bad. That anyone could expand upon what had been said to be the most advanced ship in the entire galaxy, let alone replicate it in the first place just didn't fit with the first game.

- As I mentioned before, they replaced half my squad and forced them to sit all of Mass Effect 2 in a corporate office or had them not put any trust in me or had them busy with their own things for half the game. I can forgive the last one, a bit, but I'd really hoped to pick back up with my squad and continue kicking ass and saving the galaxy... Having some of them tell me that being an information broker, for instance, was more important... Meh.

- Rebuilt baby reaper = giant terminator?? Poetic. Dumb. Especially after the Suicide Mission that pretty much nailed what I thought Mass Effect should be.

- The way the series proceed at the tale end of ME2 (blowing up the mass relay basically did nothing) through to ME3's terrible ending. As noted... I just didn't like how everything played out with the Reapers and their motivations.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread