What Kermit said. (Gaming)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, May 12, 2016, 12:53 (2914 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by dogcow, Thursday, May 12, 2016, 13:07

Perhaps it's because of all the time I spend in Destiny, but these days I seriously crave being immersed in a well-crafted, linear story. I know that in gaming linear is a bad word now, and it's considered regressive if you can't affect the outcome, but games that do a good job of having multiple endings are rare (Dishonored is one), and even then having one logical, inevitable ending is always more satisfying, to me anyway.

I completely agree. I understand why people want "open" "non-linear" games where your decisions alter the game & story. I get it. It's more like real life. It sounds REALLY COOL. A complete alternate reality that you can step into and experience. <edit>When I think of a game like that it sounds like a fun and wonderful experience!</edit> Unfortunately something is lost when a game attempts to do that. I'm not exactly sure what/why, but I can sense the lack of it

Perhaps it can be thought of this way, it's the difference between reading a choose-your-own-adventure book and reading a normal book. There's a reason normal linear books are still more popular than choose-your-own-adventure books. You know, maybe I should take that a step farther. It's like being given loose chapters of a choose-you-own-adventure book and you're attempting to piece together a compelling story vs. reading a good book cover to cover. Sure you may be able to have a unique experience when you're done, but I can guarantee you the linear book will be better.

<edit>Maybe that's just it, you're primarily existing in a setting, not experiencing good storytelling.</edit>

edit2: english grammar is hard.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread