What Xenos said. (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 12, 2016, 17:27 (2914 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, May 12, 2016, 17:31

Also, did I mention how absolutely beautiful this game is? I can't remember which podcast it was now, maybe Giant Bomb, but someone said that Uncharted is the first game that feels like it's truly come up on the other side of the Uncanny Vally, and I agree.

I think this is because of the mechanics. Remember how I said something like Bioshock Infinite looked great, but felt fake because when you tried to interact it was revealed as a facade? Well, Uncharted looks great AND it feels real. The market has hundreds of people actually moving around behaving realistically unlike Infinite's wind up puppets that are the citizens. You can climb everything, and stuff that looks like it should move and work moves and works. Take cover behind sand bags, and they empty as they fill with bullet holes (exposing you!). Tables and wooden structures crumble when under fire. Fruits and bottles explode when hit. The physics of the grappling hook and winch are not scripted but real. The tall grass sways as you pass and hides you from enemies. Trees and leaves sway in the wind. I mean, the clock tower sequence. Holy shit.

It's out of the Uncanny Valley because the world feels real mechanically.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread