Am I crazy, or did I just miss the boat? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 13, 2016, 02:18 (2913 days ago) @ Xenos

I've listened to a few video game podcasts last week that obvious brought up Uncharted 4. Every single one of them held up Uncharted 2 as the standard for Uncharted games. Why?

I didn't play the games as they were released--I played through all three for the first time over the last two months. Uncharted 3 is clearly the best of them by a long shot. The pacing is better, the story is the best (and without the supernatural bullshit), the set pieces are the best. Is it just nostalgia and Uncharted 2 being such a huge leap over Uncharted 1 and being sort of unprecedented at the time in which it was released, or do people genuinely believe 2 is the better game? I mean, I think it's pretty close, but playing them all back to back for the first time, 3 is clearly the stand out for me.

I think a lot of it has to do with people thinking the gameplay was the best in Uncharted 2.

And I definitely don't understand that at all. I think the controls and movement feel much better in 3, and the combat encounters are more interesting (if only just). I realize that's just a matter of opinion, but I strongly suspect it's not insignificant that I didn't experience Uncharted 2 when it was new. I think people remember it more fondly because it was the sort of the first great Uncharted game that really defined what those games are, and Uncharted 3, while technically better, just couldn't live up to the expectations that people had after Uncharted 2.

I've even seen a lot of folks say that Uncharted 4 isn't quite as good as Uncharted 2, and that just blows my mind, because that race ain't even close as far as I'm concerned. Uncharted 4 is so far above the rest of the Uncharted games that it's in another solar system. I guess I can't really proclaim that until I finish it, but it has literally been pitch perfect for the 8 hours and 11 chapters I've done.

I guess it's just sort of like how I can recognize that Reach is the best Halo game, but Halo 2 is still just maybe a notch above it for me, just because it was the game that defined what Halo was and what online console shooters were, and it hit while I was in high school and was able to play absurd amounts of it. Nostalgia means that nothing else can ever really match it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread