What Xenos said. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 12, 2016, 13:21 (2914 days ago) @ Kermit

Perhaps it's because of all the time I spend in Destiny, but these days I seriously crave being immersed in a well-crafted, linear story. I know that in gaming linear is a bad word now, and it's considered regressive if you can't affect the outcome, but games that do a good job of having multiple endings are rare (Dishonored is one), and even then having one logical, inevitable ending is always more satisfying, to me anyway.

Ultimately, I think that's where I land too. It's part of why I enjoyed playing Halo 5 so much after the more open-ended nature of Destiny. I love the way The Witcher 3 did open world, but it sort of ruined me for other open world games, and I've always thought too many games were trying to be open world for no real reason other than it's the hot trend. I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 4 for instance, and Bethesda was the king of open world, and I still think open world racing games are stupid. I did like Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it wasn't fully open world, and I do think Uncharted could be really fun and interesting by following that formula. But ultimately, I am loving the classic linear narrative and classic Uncharted formula in Uncharted 4. So far (up to Chapter 10) it's been executed perfectly, and I'm not sure I'd want it any other way.

Also, did I mention how absolutely beautiful this game is? I can't remember which podcast it was now, maybe Giant Bomb, but someone said that Uncharted is the first game that feels like it's truly come up on the other side of the Uncanny Vally, and I agree. I think it really is the best looking game I've ever seen regardless of platform.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread