Naught Dog needs to be investigated. (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 17:00 (2912 days ago) @ cheapLEY

One thing I will say about Naughty Dog: that team knows how to put together a complete "vision" for the game they're making, and then deliver it. There are elements to the Uncharted games that I'm not crazy about, but virtually every single aspect of those games feels deliberate, well thought out, and intentional (whether I personally like it or not). It makes their games feel complete and cohesive in a way that few games do.

Thinking back to Destiny, it is funny how "all over the place" the game feels in many ways, and I don't think that's a fluke or a failure to deliver. I've seen/read several interviews over the past 18 months where Bungie employees have mentioned the fact that the team is still discovering "what Destiny is"... and I think that's clear when I play the game. It doesn't feel "authored" in the way that Naughty Dog games do. It feels like a collection of ideas and systems and goals, some more thought out than others, some well executed, others not. Of course, Naughty Dog games are nowhere near as "groundbreaking" as Destiny is aiming to be. But again, I think that is a conscious choice on ND's part: they keep the scope of their games to a size that they can nail damn-near flawlessly. If there is something they want to include in their game, but they lack the time or resources to nail it out of the park, they cut the feature.

Concentrated coolness ;)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread