Am I crazy, or did I just miss the boat? (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 13, 2016, 14:47 (2913 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've listened to a few video game podcasts last week that obvious brought up Uncharted 4. Every single one of them held up Uncharted 2 as the standard for Uncharted games. Why?

I didn't play the games as they were released--I played through all three for the first time over the last two months. Uncharted 3 is clearly the best of them by a long shot. The pacing is better, the story is the best (and without the supernatural bullshit), the set pieces are the best. Is it just nostalgia and Uncharted 2 being such a huge leap over Uncharted 1 and being sort of unprecedented at the time in which it was released, or do people genuinely believe 2 is the better game? I mean, I think it's pretty close, but playing them all back to back for the first time, 3 is clearly the stand out for me.

So I haven't played Uncharted 3 for myself... but I was listening to a bunch of podcasts when it came out, and I have a fairly clear memory of what reviewers were complaining about at the time.

The general opinion that I heard repeated many times was that Uncharted 3 was great "in a bubble", but being the 3rd in the series harmed many people's perception of it because it did too little to improve on the previous games and repeated too many of the same mistakes. I remember hearing lots of "the gunplay still sucks... how can they continue to fill the game with so much shooting without making the combat any fun?" and that sort of thing. I specifically remember hearing several people complain about some of the "chase" sequences (again, I haven't played the game, but from people's descriptions it sounded to me like the game had sequences similar to "run along a path as everything is collapsing" sequences in Tomb Raider)... people complained that the camera angles and path layout made those sequences confusing, and that it wasn't always clear which way to go, which would lead to a lot of frustrating deaths.

Anyway, I can't vouch for any of this stuff myself, but those are some of the most common comments I heard about the game back when it came out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread