Environments vs Destiny's (Gaming)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, May 14, 2016, 02:52 (2913 days ago) @ uberfoop

There really isn't much to tell the player that "this used to be an academy" aside from your Ghost telling you as much.

They needed more in the style of the statues and library hall.

The biggest weak spot IMO is Mars. Great cities have character; New Alexandria has a gleaming exoskeleton of white curves and struts, New Mombasa has a huge chevron of grand skyscrapers, Seattle has Space Noodles, everyone hates Lynnwood. What descriptions can be applied to Freehold, besides that it's covered in sand? Speaking of which, nobody even ever even uses the city's name. Prior to this post, "Freehold" was used a total of 11 times on DBO, most of which were lore material quotes, mission description quotes, and references to "Freehold Station" for game play reasons. There are a total of 3 instances in the history of DBO where someone used the city's name spontaneously. It looks nice enough, but what ponderings are there to have? Where's the carcass of a great palace that once loomed over the area, where's the huge underground skate park, where's the derelict moa burger stand? I wonder what sorts of fish the denizens wrapped in their TPS reports in these medium-sized buildings.

I was just hanging out by the main OWT transit hub entrance area of Freehold yesterday, farming Vex majors for a bounty, and thought about how cool of a play space it would be if it was part of some kick-ass campaign mission, filled with allied and enemy forces fighting each other with vehicles (a la New Mombasa/Outskirts), instead of a static MMO environment with periodically respawning enemies.

And that made me real depressed, 'cause pretty much everywhere in Destiny feels like that for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread