At this point... inertia. (Destiny)

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 20:09 (2660 days ago) @ petetheduck

I mostly play PvP. I find strikes to be incredibly boring. I even found the WotM to be boring. I don't know if anything will ever feel like the first time I did VoG. So most of my pleasure is derived from competitive play and playing well. It's how I'm wired and how I've always been. I was an athlete my whole life. I still play sports every week and to this day I more or less judge how much I enjoyed my time based on how well I played. Did I execute how I know how to play? Did complete my passes? Did I hustle on D? Etc. That's who I am.

So when it comes to Destiny, when I'm playing well in the Crucible, it is one of the most gratifying feelings. Going on a kill streak, or just being on point with my sniping makes me feel amazing. I've never played a game that when I'm playing well felt so good as Destiny. I've never been that good at other PvP environments, but something about Destiny allows me to play in a way I like and can often reward me for it (though not in in-game rewards :) ).

Now, when I play poorly, or my connection sucks, or I'm put in a room of people who's ELOs are all 600 pts above mine, Destiny sucks big time. It is the worst. I have broken my couch, a table, I have kicked my chair across the room, punched my desk hundreds of times. It is the most infuriating game I have ever played because sometimes there is simply no discernible difference between how well I played one day to how horrible the next days experience is. I have stopped playing as much lately because of this. I even went so far as to delete the game from both my consoles.

But... and this brings me finally to my point, I couldn't stay away long, because I'm not terribly interested in other games and frankly, I want something to veg to for a couple hours at night. I wish I had the energy to just keep being productive and working on my side projects, but I don't always. This is why I describe it as inertia. It's more friction for me to fire up another game. I'm not an adventurous person, I don't want to waste time (or especially money) on something I might not like. If it weren't for Robot and Rellekh telling me to buy Destiny, I'd probably never would have and would have never met you guys.

So yeah, I play Destiny because it's more work to play something else. Though, honestly, at this point, I wish I had the strength to quit except during Iron Banner. I love playing Iron Banner with all of you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread