Alright. I'm game. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 13:16 (2651 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 13:23

My words in Bold Green! Yay!

narcogen: It has a become a strange world in which admitting that one plays other games is evidence of failure on the part of Bungie's designers, and that visiting once in awhile is not "playing" a game, and having done everything you want is somehow a disappointment.

I don't get it.

[Pointless meme snipped] Pointless meme wasn't pointless, hence it being there. Expressing surprise in the escalation of emotion and amount of content. Rhetorically speaking Why so serious?

I've been sitting here with my mouth open for about... five minutes. Flabbergasted. Not only of this comment, but of the size of the chain below it.

Flabbergasted by what? Seriously, I'm asking. See pointless meme clarification above.

[Pointless meme snipped] ... moveing along ...

It would appear some clarification is in order to ween us away from this stunning interpretation.

What is stunning about it? Again... see above.

A thread was posting asking if people are still playing Destiny, presumably wondering who is, and if so, why, and if not, why not. Yes...

Your original, unembellished post starts off with the subject "meh" as if it is barely worth your effort to have a reaction or to properly verbalize it, and then proceeds to make the following assertions: Actually, it's the summery of my thoughts, hence title, towards "How are you guys still playing Destiny?" to which I should add I instantly changed the question into "If I was still playing Destiny?" so if you wish to nit pick here is your chance, through at the very least it seems we both made that interpretation. That said, this is why "Meh" it is the title. That is how I overall feel about it at this point. A big 'ol colossal MEH.

"...play destiny? What is there to play?"

You are essentially mocking the question and the person who asked it by saying that the question cannot be asked because Destiny is currently not a thing which can be played. You are going far, far beyond saying why you are not playing, and suggesting that others who are engaged with the game are apparently not playing, because there is nothing there to be played. I will admit that this particular wording should be "What is there to play... at this point?", but I'm surprised it needs to be. Yet with that said I find the emotion you imply utterly bewildering. I'll spare you the image. Wow. That escalated quickly. You speak as if I am acting with spiteful purpose. I don't understand. I commented on how I felt about it and that is that. Problem?

Some of this is expected with Bungie design sensibilities of reusing everything as much as possible

Now comes the why, apparently. You say that Bungie's design sensibilities consist of "reusing everything as much as possible" and this explains why you've already

done everything I conceivably wanted to do in every conceivable fashion

This is a common criticism of the game; that it is repetitive, and designed to be so. You've basically turned the original question on its head-- that not only are you not playing the game because it is repetitive, but that Bungie's design sensibilities lead to this inevitably. As if many other online PVE games are played often three years into release without repetition, somehow. It seems to me, that in your nit picking, you have missed the main point in my whole post... AKA It would appear some clarification is in order to ween us away from this stunning interpretation.It would also appear you missed it again. I shall try again to be even more blunt before this post is done.

So lets go into my yammering and poke at it.

You know what? Let's not. Let's look at what you actually wrote and what it actually says, instead of just saying lol sarcasm or talking about what you meant when you said something, or just... coloring things randomly. *Sigh*

Instead let's look at the crux of what you wrote and why I bothered to respond to it.

now... there are other games. Other worlds. Other Experiences. ... and it's actually fun.

The key word here is "actually". You could simply have said you were playing other games and having fun, and I probably wouldn't have answered at all. There is nothing unusual about moving on from a game, playing other games, and having fun. In fact, not doing so might be more unusual-- which might even have been the point of the original poster's question. Ugh. I had hoped... even though I know better. Even though I've been burned countless times before. Wording wording wording. Flippen-Freekn-A. I had hoped it would be implied that I wasn't speaking about Destiny in it's whole, but about Destiny at this point hence the title keyword "STILL". While I imagine this won't come across has sincere due to the current pattern, I'm sorry if I somehow have offended you. Your tone certainly makes it seem so.

The use of "actually" here implies a contrast, ...*at this point* however. It implies that playing these other new games is "actually" fun...*at this point*, while playing Destiny is not "actually" fun...*at this point*, and this contrast is made without respect to time, meaning it could be interpreted as meaning that Destiny is no longer fun...*at this point*, but it was earlier OH!... , or that Destiny was never oh!.., in actual fact, fun, but only seemed so until one stopped playing Ugh... for a moment there was light. This is also not an uncommon criticism of Destiny by those who feel drawn or compelled to complete quests, find loot, tick boxes, and to use those mechanics as the reason for picking up the game, instead of using them once they've picked up the game as a way of deciding what parts of it to experience.

In your next post, you added some explication that doesn't really explain, but again turns the question back against the questioner:

In the frame of videogames, If you had a choice between running down the same darned corridor for the 5000th time, where you know where every mote of dust lies, or running down an unknown dark hallway that has yet to be filled with light, which would you choose? Is the choice I have made really so odd?

No, not at all! Your use of "actually" implies, however, that the opposite choice you consider to be odd, and again, that's why I replied. The way you describe it above indicates not only that you don't find it fun, but that you struggle to understand how anyone else could. Is anyone else seeing a pattern here or is it just me?

5000 times? That might apply to vanilla content, but each of the last two expansions added new strikes, new patrol areas, and a new Raid. I've actually only completed WotM *once* so far, and never on hard or challenge mode yet. I haven't even hit 400 yet, and I'm sure many others haven't either.

Even in vanilla content I often look at some corner and see a detail I never noticed before; and more often than not, that light at the end of the dark tunnel in a supposedly new game just turns out to be a variation on a theme, no less so than any twist, modification or re-use of content than Bungie has made so far to Destiny in the past two years. Cool! Fantastic. Go! Kick ass and chew bubblegum!

And then your parting shot... Oh geeeeeeez.

Why would I be playing Destiny? I can only hope that Bungie makes that question a mantra in the coming mouths ahead.

I'm sure they never thought of that until you asked. All Bungie fans must be grateful for your stunning and revealing honesty! What is this farce? Are you serious right now? You are being utterly ridiculous, and I fear I may have to explain. Check your emotions dude. Do you really think Bungie is insulted? I mean... you make it sound like I'm car15. You presume my intent, and you missed.

You are suggesting that those who are still playing and seemingly having fun are somehow ignorant or unaware of the game's actual nature-- that if they, too, only stopped to ask themselves "why would I play Destiny" they would realize they are not actually having fun and stop. I.... I am? O_o Dude. This. I. ... What!?

[snip]

ALSO DESTINY IS THR WORST GAME EVER AND BLAH BLAH BLHA

You didn't say that, and didn't say you said that. You implied that Destiny is not, and perhaps never was, "actually" fun to play, and tacked on a thinly disguised "BUNGIE FIX YO SHIT" implying that that the poster and others still playing the game continue to do so only because they lack your level of introspection. Actually I was mocking you, as that is what your tone in your first reply post to mine was saying and based on what I am reading here, you really should be mocked in this instance with your utter mania-like overreaction. It's comical. I just can't take what you are saying seriously in part due to your manner.

I'm not putting a sarcasm tag because hopefully at least one person here can figure it out. If no one here can, well, I'm fu**ed.

I guess you're f***ed then? If you didn't intend the initial post to mean what it says, then I don't know why you wrote it. If you mean the opposite of what this post says, then I don't know why you wrote it. *Sigh*

Also, what happened to SIX GAME? Skyrim and Fallout don't count as one game considering the scope.

I do get that you like Mass Effect. Me, too! Cautiously optimistic about ME4-- ME1 drew me in enough to see the series through to the end, despite a *lot* of changes (some good, some bad) along the way. I'm waiting so see if what they propose in Andromeda is engaging enough to keep playing now that the game is essentially a third person shooter with RPG elements instead of an RPG with some third person shooter elements.

I know I know. Can't wait! :D ... also key words "Ready for another adventure"

----------------------------------------
You cut a portion of my quote where I talk about games, and the number of those games. Whether it's because you had nothing to say about it, or you thought it wasn't relevant as of right now does not matter. As promised I'm going to try and be as BLUNT as I can. And I'll even do it with out the bold and the green.

Alright. Key points. Played Destiny till bloody. Other games. New Adventures.

Decipher. GO!

Shit. Do I still have to hold a hand? I don't know. But I'm post'n this sucker and we get to find out together! WOO!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread