Exactly. Except the opposite. (Off-Topic)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 00:23 (2566 days ago) @ Funkmon

Rogue One is what good fan fiction should be. A story about bit players and how they did something important in the universe.

TFA is bad fan fiction. It is "look at this awesome new character who is a hot girl and also has mysterious control over her force powers with zero education, even more than Luke. Btw she is also a slave on a desert planet and steals the Millennium Falcon! Then Han Solo shows up! Then she gets captured by Darth Vader's grandson after using Vader's old lightsaber. He brings her to a death star, except it isn't a death star, it's bigger and more scary, but then they explode it by doing a trench run that is bigger and more scary than in Star Wars. THEN there is a final climactic scene between surprise force power hot girl using Vader's old lightsaber vs Vader's grandson using an ultra powerful super lightsaber with 3 blades. Then she goes to find Yoda on an uncharted planet. I mean Luke. She goes to find him on an uncharted planet so they can be BFFs. End of part 1."

It is just typical of bad fan fiction. I thought it was a decent movie, but it didn't do anything new. It was just inserting characters into the same story, where everything was +1 bigger and scarier with a new chosen one who is +1 better looking and more skilled than the last one.

That's sort of like saying FF has to be bad, so it should stay away from major characters and themes to avoid infecting them with their badness.

I'm not saying that I disagree with that thesis, necessarily, but it did look weird to see RO labeled as "good FF" and TFA as "bad FF" when I found RO ponderous, lifeless and boring, and TFA, although more than a smidgen of it was slavish fanservice, was entertaining and enjoyable, for the most part.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread