Adore this post. (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 15:39 (2565 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I would actually have to counter with the argument that yes, there are studios or even the existing studio which could have done continued Halo justice.

From a story perspective, I think it has less to do with the studio, and more to do with the writers that they hire. Guerilla is a fantastic example of a studio with average writers that jumped up to near god-tier simply by hiring the right people to help flesh out a universe from a simple concept (Horizon Zero Dawn).

As far as gameplay, studios like Treyarch or Monolith could have made some fantastic stuff with the franchise (Treyarch's games alone had a better theater mode, tighter multiplayer, and a better rate of content drops than Bungie had when they were running Halo).

Take this with a grain of salt because I know I'm in the minority here about the feeling that Reach was a relative highlight, and the general consensus appears to be "space opera good, military sci-fi bad" (as a grotesque oversimplification) as this thread underscores. But that is a bag of cats I don't necessarily want to open too wode.

Halo 1, ODST, and Reach are above and beyond the best of the Halo games, and incidentally, they're the three games with the most human/smaller scale stories. I've never been a fan of the space opera direction that Halo took, and the diluted generic sci-fi that 343 has turned it into. I think that 343's biggest problem started with trying to one-up Bungie in the high-concept areas, rather than making a spin-off like ODST 2 first while they worked out better ideas with how to continue Chief's story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread