Pretty sure all those "mistakes" were intentional... (Destiny)

by scarab @, Sunday, January 25, 2015, 14:27 (3381 days ago) @ Vortech

Let's go back to your original post to see if we are on the same page.

You said:

I don't know why you don't think a plan you later regret should not be called a mistake.

I took that to mean that you thought that Bungie had made a plan that they later regretted.

I also inferred that the plan that you meant was a plan to use shards to gate progress.

How I understood your sentence was, to paraphrase, "I don't know why you don't think a plan [to gate progress with shards] you later regret should not be called a mistake."

My reply was to point out that it was not Bungie's plan to gate progress via shards. I then presented the evidence to demonstrate that it wasn't Bungie's plan.

I'd like to do that again and highlight those parts that indicate their intent.

On CE drop rates vs. VOG:
The Forever 29 meme was a killer for us.

We sat down and talked about the rewards for VoG and the rates vs. CE and ended up with the following:
increase drop rates globally in CE: we wanted dedicated players to be around 32 or real close by the time Hard mode came out.
increase the variability of perks that a given piece can roll.
the goal here: players would reach 32 easier than 30, but would have more customization and options to build the perfect set (in terms of stats, perks, weapon affinities)
The part where this didn't work as well as we'd hoped is with the Shard economy. Shards are a are a barrier between you and equipping a sweet new piece of gear.

We want fewer barriers to equipping upgrades. The shard economies erect these barriers between players and the new piece of gear they just got.

They wanted to increase drop rates globally and have dedicated players real close to 32 by the time hard mode came out.

Luke mentions that forever 29 was a killer for them and he never mentions any worries about people getting to 32 too soon. Nor does he say that the shards were a failed attempt at gating or that he regrets gating. There is no mention of gating.

He definitely did not say anything like. "We decided to implement a shard economy to gate progress." "and now we regret that decision."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread