Nerfing special ammo makes the primary weapon meta boring. (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 06, 2015, 21:25 (3310 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by iconicbanana, Monday, April 06, 2015, 21:31

PVP Ammunition – The Crucible team wants to change the way ammo crates dictate the flow of a battle.

This is the fifth and final point Deej set up in his BWU forecast a few weeks ago, and we'll probably hear about it on Thursday.

Personally, I would love to see the PvP game place a bigger emphasis on primary weapons. As it is, Special ammo crates are littered around the battlefield like candy, so you're rarely without a stocked-up Shotgun/Sniper/Fusion rifle.

Snipers are the biggest reason I had issues with First Light and Bastion. As the game currently is, Shotguns are incredibly dominant, even after two nerfs.

Preferably, Ammo for these weapons will be limited to the same degree that Heavy is- because that's what they are: Power weapons. Things your team would fight to hold the spawn of in Halo.

Or, maybe you spawn into a new match with a full reserve, and that reserve is persistent through deaths, but that's all the ammo you get- so you have to decide when it's most crucial to spend it (this would also make exotics like Invective and Ice Breaker even more valuable).

What's everyone's preferences/predictions?

There's a reason you listed first light and bastion as an issue for snipers: those are some of the only maps where the sniper has long sight lines and an advantage. Shotguns are popular on smaller maps. These weapons are the right tool for those maps, but they have primary weapon counters. A scout can give a sniper a run for their money. Handcannons do equal work on shotgun users.

I think messing with special ammo is going to change the loadout meta drastically; you'll need to be much more reliant on a primary, and as a result on given maps we'll see more homogeneity for which primaries are used. If you can't hold or get sniper ammo, you'll be much more inclined to use an SR on Bastion; if you can't find shotgun ammo, you'll have to have an AR or HC on Asylum. I generally dislike that idea; the current meta allows people a more customizable loadout for their playstyle, and encourages variety.

I guess I don't see the problem with so much special weapon ammo. Everyone can have one: it's not like some players get a shotgun and some don't. Just my two cents.

The real problem are those exotic handcannons.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread